Thursday, March 24, 2022

Principle 4: Lament and Grumbling are not the same thing


Has reading the Psalms ever made you uncomfortable? For me sometimes it’s the complaints about God’s abandonment. Things like, “My God, I cry out to you by day but you do not answer me, by night, but I find no rest.” (Ps 22:2)
Sometimes they just sound like whiners. “All day long they twist my words; all their schemes are for my ruin. They conspire, they lurk they watch my steps hoping to take my life.” (Ps 56:5-6)

All of this begs the question in my mind -- What exactly is the difference between the psalmist’s bitter complaints and the grumblings of the bad actors from the book of Numbers like Korah and the 10 spies? The one is held up as an example of praise and prayer to follow and the other is condemned as a sin alongside sexual immorality and idolatry. (I Cor 10:6-10)

In many ways I feel like the hardest part of my experience with having a broken back is still ahead. Up until now, I have been focused on recovery and doctor’s appointments; and I have been able to convalesce with my needs taken care of.  I have spent a lot of time just thinking about how thankful I am to be alive and not permanently maimed. I am thankful for the 176th Wing Rescue Squadrons that showed up in the nick of time to carry us to safety and treatment. But at some point I would do well to count up my losses and grieve them well.
 
Things like: the time lost with my students that I will never be able to get back, not getting to finish my house with my own hands, and losing the ability to physically help my wife through her third trimester and delivery.  I’m sure the list will grow, especially as I return home next week and try to figure out the new normal.
 
So how can I, as I grapple with these things, keep it in the realm of lament and praise while avoiding the pitfall of grumbling? Here are some observations I’ve made that I will need to learn to apply:

Grumbling 

  • Has blatant overtones of a lack of faith. When the Israelites were about to go into the promise land, they struggled because some of the spies brought a bad report and caused doubt that God could give them the land. “If only we had died in Egypt or in this wilderness! Why is the LORD bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword?” (Num 14:2) 
  • Accuses God of wrongdoing and chooses to hold on to bitterness. “It is against the LORD that you and all you followers have banded together. (Num 16:11) 
  • Goes hand in hand with rebellion against authority. “The next day, the whole Israelite community grumbled against Moses and Aaron, ‘you have killed the lord’s People,’ they said.” (Num 16:14)

Lament 

  • Is unashamed to express emotion / grief. “I am worn out from my groaning, all night long I flood my bed with weeping…” (Ps 6:6) 
  • Is not afraid to ask questions but doesn’t demand answers. “Why, Lord do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?” (Ps 10:1)
  • Circles around to praise and trust. There are many examples of this throughout the Psalms and usually if people are disturbed by what they read, it’s because they are reading a verse or section alone and don’t finish the Psalm. I like to go to Psalm 13 for a clear example of this because in 6 short verses, it goes from questioning God’s apparent absence, to asking for His response to expressing trust and faith in Him.

 Psalm 13

"For the director of music. A psalm of David.

1 How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?


3 Look on me and answer, Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,
4 and my enemy will say, 'I have overcome him,'
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.


5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing the Lord’s praise,
for he has been good to me."

Lord, help me to maintain a faith in your unfailing love even when I am sad and don’t understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment