Saturday, March 26, 2022

Principle 5: Gratitude is the Door to Joy in the House of Suffering


I come to and instinctively put my finger on the broken fuel line that is pouring avgas onto my lap. As I hold it there I look around and slowly begin to realize the scene I'm in is real. I'm not dreaming that I'm in a plane crash, I am in one. My back is screaming at me that something is terribly wrong.  I don't move but I listen to each of my friends in the plane respond to each other and realize we're all alive. 

Thank you, Lord. 

As Eric hobbles around like a half broken Energizer Bunny, he extricates each of us from the plane. We're finally all out of the fuel-soaked fuselage, laying on something and covered with every warm item he can find. 

Thank you, Lord.

I struggle with the phones Eric handed me -- call 911, text Megan, text Jeremy, text Annie, 1 bar, zero bars, message send failure over and over... nothing. finally one message says "sent." "Crashed outside ILI 59.64795, -154.98317."

Thank you, Lord.

A Pilatus aircraft is overhead, we've been located.

Thank you, Lord.

Supercub lands and radios the news that we're all alive, bringing some relief to those anxiously waiting at home. 

Thank you, Lord.

People start arriving in droves, more warmth, helping hands and caring faces.

Thank you, Lord. 

Hours later, the welcome sound of helicopter blades cuts the air. The Coastguard and the Rescue Squadrons have arrived. 

Thank you, Lord. 

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

I have to admit, the last post on Lament Vs. Grumbling felt a little surreal to write. I think because I haven't fully experienced those feelings yet, but I wanted to be prepared. Don't get me wrong, there have been tears, but generally they have been when I think about how grateful I am. 

I think we often assume that joy and pain are opposites, but that's simply not biblical or my experience. 

"But as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: ... and behold, we live; as punished, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything."

(2 Co 6:4–10).

 

A little later as Paul is dealing with church conflict (which we all love doing) he writes. 

I am overflowing with joy in the midst of all our suffering.

(2 Co 7:4). 


I also think of Paul and Silas in Philippi in Acts 16. They've just been beaten with rods, thrown in prison and put in stocks. So what's their natural response? Sing hymns of course! Wouldn't you? 


How can we find joy in the midst of sorrow? By remembering God's gracious act of salvation for us and that we only have to suffer the pain of this world for a short time before we have a better and lasting possessions. In that, we maintain an attitude of gratitude. (I Peter 1:6), (Heb 10:34)  


I feel like I got a physical preview of this spiritual / physical reality. I got to be saved from physical harm and death and got to experience the gratitude of that during and after. But with the salvation of our Lord coming we can experience the gratitude in having been saved, in being saved now, and the sure and certain hope of our coming salvation. That kind of gratitude truly changes a person's outlook on life. 

So here's my observation about gratitude.

In a state of gratitude:
Sorrow is tempered
Despair is banished
Loss is acceptable
Joy is persistent
We got to meet and thank members of the 210th (Helicopters), 211th (HC-130), and 212th (Prarescuemen) Rescue squadrons in person a couple weeks after the rescue. 

Motto inside the hanger door

Meeting the pilot who flew through terrible weather to reach us just before we would have been towed out. 


One of the helicopters used by the 210th 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment